On May 21, 2026, USCIS issued Policy Memorandum PM-602-0199 with a title that should make every green card applicant inside the United States sit up straight: “Adjustment of Status is a Matter of Discretion and Administrative Grace, and an Extraordinary Relief that Permits Applicants to Dispense with the Ordinary Consular Visa Process.”
This is a big worldview shift, in line with this administration’s approach to immigration.
For decades, if you lawfully entered the US, you were eligible to file an I-485, an adjustment of status. It was the obvious move. You stayed with your family, you kept your job, you avoided embassy lines abroad, and if you were approved, you got a green card in the mail. Consular processing was the alternative for people who were outside the country.
USCIS just inverted that assumption. Consular processing is now the “ordinary” path. Staying in the US to adjust is the “extraordinary” one. And if you’re in the middle of an I-485 right now, that change applies to your case, whether you filed it last week or last year.
We’ve been getting calls about this nonstop since the memo dropped. Here’s what we’re telling clients.
What the memo actually says (and what it doesn’t)
First, the panic-headline correction: the memo does not say USCIS will only approve I-485s in “extraordinary circumstances.” That phrase came from political messaging around the rollout, not from the document itself. If you’ve been forwarded a screenshot saying adjustment is dead, that’s overstated.
What the memo does say is structurally serious. It instructs every USCIS officer adjudicating an I-485 to:
- Treat adjustment of status as discretionary relief, not an entitlement, even when the applicant meets every statutory requirement
- Conduct an individualized, totality-of-circumstances analysis weighing positive equities against negative factors
- Treat the choice to remain in the US to adjust — rather than departing for consular processing — as one of those factors to consider
- Place the burden on the applicant to prove why favorable discretion is warranted
- Provide a written analysis when denying on discretionary grounds
The legal authority for this isn’t new. Adjustment of status has always been discretionary under INA §245(a). What’s new is the cultural mandate: officers are being told, in writing, to use that discretion much more actively than they have in recent memory.
When an agency tells its officers to look harder for reasons to say no, more cases get said no to. That’s the important part.
Who is most at risk
Not every applicant is in the same boat. The memo creates a clear hierarchy of exposure.
Highest risk — nonimmigrants without strong dual-intent protection. F-1 students, B-1/B-2 visitors, and anyone whose visa category requires intent to depart at the end of the authorized stay. USCIS is signaling that these applicants should be using consular processing, full stop.
High risk — anyone with a compliance blemish. Past overstays, unauthorized employment, prior denials, a single arrest that didn’t lead to a conviction, or an inconsistency on a prior application. All of these were already adjudication factors. Now they carry more weight because officers are explicitly told to weigh them more heavily.
Medium risk — H-1B and L-1 workers. Dual intent helps, but the memo signals that dual intent alone isn’t a free pass on the discretionary review. Adjustment-of-status portability and pending I-485 protections still exist on paper, but expect more Requests for Evidence and tougher interview prep.
Lowest risk — immediate relatives of US citizens with clean records. Spouses, parents, and unmarried children under 21 of US citizens still sit in a uniquely protected statutory category. The memo doesn’t change that protection. If you’re a US citizen spouse petitioning for your partner who entered legally, has no overstays, no unauthorized work, and no arrests, the path is still there. It just isn’t the rubber stamp it sometimes felt like.
The trap nobody is talking about
Here’s the part that should be terrifying everyone who reads the memo and thinks “fine, I’ll just consular process.”
If you’ve accrued more than 180 days of unlawful presence in the United States and then depart the country to attend a consular interview, you trigger the three-year bar. More than a year of unlawful presence = Ten-year bar. These are statutory grounds of inadmissibility under INA §212(a)(9)(B). Leaving the US is the act that activates them.
This is why the I-485 route existed in the first place for so many people. Adjustment of status lets you obtain permanent residence without departing, which means you never trigger the bars even if you have unlawful presence in your past.
If USCIS pushes more applicants toward consular processing without addressing the unlawful presence bars, you’re going to see cases where the only legal options are: (1) stay and risk a discretionary denial of your I-485, or (2) leave and risk a multi-year ban from the country your spouse and children live in.
Waivers exist (I-601A provisional waivers for spouses of US citizens, for example). They are slow, complex, and not guaranteed. This is not a problem to navigate without counsel.
What about cases already pending?
The memo doesn’t include an effective date for pending cases. But the legal reality is uglier than that: discretion is assessed at the moment of final adjudication. If your I-485 was filed in 2024 and gets adjudicated next month, the officer applies the standard in effect when they pick up the file. That’s the new standard.
So functionally, every I-485 sitting in a USCIS queue right now just got harder.
What that means practically:
- Expect more Requests for Evidence, especially asking you to document positive equities — community ties, employment history, tax compliance, family relationships, character references
- Expect more interview scrutiny of anything that looks like a violation, no matter how minor
- Expect longer adjudication timelines as officers work through the new analysis on every file
What to do right now
If you’re in the middle of a case or thinking about filing one, the worst move is to react emotionally to a headline. The second-worst move is to do nothing.
If you have a pending I-485:
- Do not travel internationally without talking to your attorney. Even with advance parole, the optics and the discretionary calculus have changed.
- Maintain your underlying status if you have one. Don’t let an H-1B or F-1 lapse on the assumption that the I-485 covers you.
- Pull together documentation of every positive equity in your life — tax returns, employment letters, lease agreements, community involvement, family ties. You may need to prove a lot more than you used to.
- Audit your case file for anything that could be read as a negative factor and prepare a written response in advance.
If you’re eligible but haven’t filed:
- Don’t assume the door is closed. For many applicants, especially immediate relatives of US citizens with clean records, adjustment of status is still the right call.
- Don’t assume it’s open either. Get a real eligibility analysis before you commit to a path.
- If you have unlawful presence in your history, talk to an attorney before you consider leaving the US. The waiver landscape is the whole game.
- This is no time for DIY! Get help from a professional.
If you’re outside the US:
Consular processing is now squarely the default path. That’s not new for you, but it is now operating without the AOS pressure valve that used to absorb so many cases. Expect longer wait times at consulates as demand shifts.
The bigger picture
Immigration law is going through one of the most consequential procedural shifts in recent memory, and most of the changes aren’t statutory, they’re discretionary. Congress hasn’t rewritten the INA. USCIS has rewritten how it reads it.
That makes the difference between a smooth case and a denied one less about what the law says and more about how you present yourself to the officer reviewing your file. Documentation, preparation, and a clean, organized case packet have always mattered. They matter more now than they did a month ago.
This is the exact moment to stop DIYing an I-485 because someone on TikTok said it was simple. It was never simple. It’s definitely not simple now.
